Monday, November 12, 2012

School Days, School Days

It is our second week of school, and I am so glad that we are close to a holiday.  Not because we will get time off, but because it has made my lesson planning a bit easier.  It is easy to make learning fun when it is centered around a holiday!

Here are some things we did today:

K-W-L chart about the history of Thanksgiving.  The orange and yellow pieces of paper are from our "Did you know?" basket.  This was fun!

Our "Did you know?" basket.  I found facts about Thanksgiving and wrote them on pieces of paper.  I had the kids draw out two facts each and we then decided if it was something we already knew, something we wanted to know, or something we had just learned from the book we read.  They loved this!  It's amazing what the element of surprise will do for an activity!
We made turkeys!  Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of Ben and Grace's before we took them to hang in Micah's office.  This one is mine.  (Don't be too impressed!  Ha! Ha!)
Some of the books we will read.  (Can you tell I was a Kindergarten teacher?)

I also found the Plymouth Plantation website.  It has some really great resources and two virtual field trips.  Really great site for those of you that may need it.  Check it out at:  www.plimoth.org

I am still learning quite a bit about this home schooling thing, but I can definitely see the potential.  Please continue to pray for us (the kids and I) as we learn how to work together each day.  I worry most about Grace and her socialization.  I want her to have friends to do things with, and not regret that we have made this major change.  Pray that I will do all I can to foster her love for learning and meet her needs adequately without placing unrealistic expectations on her.  Pray that Ben will continue to learn the routine with each day, and that his reading ability would flourish in the coming months.  This is our big push with him right now!  Most of all, please pray that our hearts will continue to be filled with the peace and joy that only God can give!  



No comments:

Post a Comment