Sunday, November 4, 2012

Emotional

Well, today was the day.  The day I knew would come, but was surprised it had not happened yet.  Yep, I was EMOTIONAL!!!!!!  I think that a culmination of things caused this...working 'til my bones hurt yesterday, our final good-bye to my mother-in-law, and just sheer exhaustion.  Anyway, I started the day well, but here were the things that made me fall apart.

1.  We visited a church today.  It was not filled with my UHBC family.  That's all!

2.  I went to Wal-Mart with a prescription to fill for Ben.  The pharmacy tech said, "You're not going to get anyone to fill this here.  This is a prescription from Texas.  You will need to go back and get a pharmacy in Texas to fill this or go get another doctor to write the prescription."  Tears were welling up in my eyes as he said this with no emotion.  I responded with, "we just moved here and we don't have a doctor yet."  His response, "Well, you will need to get one."  I wanted so badly to scream and say, "This isn't just any prescription, SIR.  It is my son's ADHD medication and it will take me MONTHS to get an appointment with the kind of doctor we need.  Hence the reason I have the handwritten prescription from my doctor in Texas!"  I did not say any of that.  I put my sunglasses on in the store, began crying and walked as quickly as I could to the car.  Not good!

3.  I went to Staples to get a dry erase board and a few other things for our first day of school.  It was just Ben and I because Grace went with Micah to Best Buy.  (We like to divide and conquer!)  We went to the register (the one where the number was lit up) and began to unload our cart.  The employee behind the counter was helping someone else at the moment.  A guy, who looked like the manager, came to the register where our stuff was and began asking the other guy who else needed help.  They had a short conversation and the "manager-looking" guy called out to the "service-desk girl" to come and work the register.  (All the while, Ben and I are sitting there patiently waiting.)  At this point, there is a line of at least 7 people behind me.  So, the girl proceeds to come over to a register two aisles away and call the people behind me to her register.  They go with her and she begins to ring them up.  At this point, REMEMBER I AM EMOTIONAL, I look over and say "SERIOUSLY?!"  The "service-desk" girl looks at me and says, "Can I help you?"  The other customers begin laughing as I say, "I have been sitting here for quite a while, and now you have gone over there and started ringing other people up.  Can someone help me?"  She looked at me like I was completely crazy, and the people she was helping looked at me like I was the rudest person they had ever seen.  I began apologizing to them, because it was certainly not about them.  The other customers are now really laughing, and "service-desk girl" has no idea what to do.  She says, "Wasn't the other guy helping you?"  I say, "No!"  She helped me at that point.  I think she was afraid I was really crazy!  (I mean certifiable!  Some days I wonder myself!)

I am so thankful that this promise is one I can rely on daily:

Lamentations 3:22-23
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.


Here's to everyone having a Monday filled with no emotion!  :-)  

2 comments:

  1. umm yes, we are going to get along just fine! I can totally relate to all of these situations, just ask my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, jana. my heart feels for you. i know CA isn't another country (although it might as well be!), but everything you said here reminds me so much of moving to africa. this is some degree of culture shock and there will be a lot more of these days to come, but then they will become more rare and you will find yourself at home there. let yourself feel those emotions- they're normal... but then at the end of every day, remind yourself that our God is BIG and He is GOOD and He is holding you in the palm of His hand right now. i am praying for you and just wish i was there by your side to explore all this with you! love you!!

    ReplyDelete