Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Nighttime on the Mountain Road

We went to town this afternoon.  Had to visit the bank, Home Depot, and of course, the three story Target.  After our running around, we went and had dinner.  Micah asked me if I would drive home.  I have no problem driving, except for the fact that it was already dark and I have never driven the mountain road at night.  Yikes!  I said I would drive, as though it was no big deal!

Let me explain our road a bit.  It has the most sharp curves of any road I have ever seen!  I am comfortable with it during the day.  I just take it slow and easy, and have learned which curves are the sharpest.  Lance Armstrong even wrote about our Palomar Mountain Road in one of his books.  He said it is the second toughest road he has ever ridden!  Wow!

Anyway, it really has gotten to be no big deal during the day, but the nighttime is a whole other story!  When you don't have the curves memorized, and it is pitch black, you rely on the markings on the road.  When the curves are super sharp, you can't see much marking as you are turning.  Let me just say that we went a bit slower than usual.  It's not that I feel like we are going to fall off of a mountain or anything like that, it is just that you feel like you are doing nothing but "leaning to the left, leaning to the right" the entire way up!

We made it fine, and I am sure that the next time (not that I am wanting to drive that road at night too much) it will be a bit easier!


No comments:

Post a Comment