Thursday, January 3, 2013

Charter School and other random things

Beware...this post is totally random!

Charter school

Micah and I finally decided that we are going to enroll the kids in a charter school for the remainder of the year.  This simply means, that I will have someone to hold me accountable for what I am doing with the kids, and their progress will be monitored by someone other than me alone.  We will still homeschool, and I will be solely responsible for their learning, but I will have a mentor that I meet with once a month or so.  This also means that we will get financial support to purchase curriculum and other school necessities.  I think that I am more scared of enrolling in a "charter school" than saying that I "homeschool."  I am scared that someone is going to be mandating what I do with my children.  I am scared that I will not have freedom to make their learning exciting.  I have other fears too.  However, I need guidance right now at the beginning of this journey.  I am not the mom that planned for years to homeschool.  I mean, let's be honest, I didn't even plan for a week!  I just jumped right into this OCEAN called homeschool, and let me tell you there is A LOT to know!  We just decided that this is what is best as we begin our journey.  Another family here at camp is enrolled in the charter school as well and they have not fallen into any black hole yet, so I am guessing that all will be well!  (Right Leah?  I'm going to be okay?!  Right?!!!!!)


Thankful

I know that I post quite often about the beauty of this mountain, but I am just so thankful for where God has placed us for this time.  This morning we headed to San Diego to hang out with our awesome SoCal friends, the Hammonds.  There is still quite a bit of snow on the ground up here, and there are several places that are still very icy.  I was driving very carefully due to the ice, but could not stop looking out over the mountain.  I could see every detail of the mountains today because it was so clear.  Every valley and peak.  Every bit of depth.  It was beautiful.  Just about two miles from our house, there is an amazing spot where you can look out over the valley, and this is where you can see the ocean.  Today, you could see the ocean for miles!  It was amazing!  I am driving in ice and snow and looking out at the sun reflecting off of the ocean!  Really?!!!!  Then, we we came home, the sunset was RIDICULOUS!  I kept saying how beautiful it was, and Grace seemed really put out with me.  I told her that I was just so thankful for the amazing creation that God allows us to experience.  After that, she seemed to notice the beauty a bit more, and she took these pictures.  (They don't do it justice, but you can probably imagine how beautiful it was.)




Daily Bible Reading

I am using a daily bible reading plan from the YouVersion bible app.  There are tons of choices, and I am sure that you could find one that would interest you.  There are some that are just a few days to those that are one year.  Try one!  Today, I read this:

Phillipians 2:3-8
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others.  In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!

GOOD stuff!!!!  That's all.

Silly (Kooky) String

We attacked Micah with silly string for his birthday!  Ben kept calling it Kooky string and making us laugh!  This was the highlight of the day for Grace and Ben!  They loved it!  Thanks Micah, for being a good sport!


Fun App

I downloaded the smilebox app during the holidays.  FUN!  







Okay, that is the end of my randomness! 

2 comments:

  1. good luck with charter-ing! praying for y'all!

    and man, these pictures make me miss y'all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be totally fine with the charter school. You're a teacher, you know what to do. At least now you can base things on Common Core and not TEKS! :)

    Also, I just wanted to tell you how much I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete