Sunday, March 3, 2013

The TRUTH

One thing that I LOVE about homeschooling, is the time that the kids and I get to spend on bible reading and scripture memory.  It's really a special time of our day, and I think we all enjoy it.

We have been reading the Jesus Storybook Bible that my in-laws gave the kids for Christmas.  If you do not have one of these, you really must get one.  Here is what it looks like:



I may be enjoying reading each story from this bible more than my children.  There is just something about the way that it is written that really helps with the understanding of who God is.  As I read each story aloud, I can hear God's TRUTH ever so clearly.  You know, I have heard these stories and read these stories over and over, but there is just something that happens when you are reading aloud about God's amazing love to your own children.  As you read it aloud, you HEAR it!  (It's kind of like that moment when you say something and realize you sound like your parents.  LOL!)

Maybe this occurs for me because this is how I process information.  OUT LOUD!  Maybe it is because it is simple, yet TRUE.  All I know is that I really enjoy reading this each day as we talk about God and his people and their mistakes and his love and grace and their lack of ability and his power in them.  (Okay, how was that for the longest run-on ever!  Sorry, I just needed to make a point.)

In recent years, I have really come to understand that God's word is where I must go for the TRUTH! I mean, I always knew this in my head, but I have put it into practice more than I ever did before.   I have been blessed to live my life surrounded by Christians, yet I have found that so many times when I sought "Christian advice" for various situations/decisions from people, I would come away confused, emotional, and not at peace.  However, when I go to the Word first, before anyone else says anything, I am at peace and can see and hear clearly.  The TRUTH is where we must always start and end.  We must check EVERYTHING against God's word, not the words of others.

Now, I am not saying that the Jesus Storybook Bible is an exact translation and should take the place of your actual bible.  For me, it has just been the catalyst by which I am "hearing" the stories in a different way.  It makes me want to read more, and it is helping my children ask questions they have not asked before.  I love that!  It is one more way that God shows me that our family is in the right place for this time.  I am so thankful for His constant reassurance and encouragement to me as I "climb this mountain" of new experiences each day! So, "grab up" a Storybook Bible for your house, and start reading!


***Make sure you check the blog in the next few days...we had a WILD Sunday and I can't wait to share some pictures!  Oh, and this is Grace's 10th Birthday week, so pray that I don't get ridiculously emotional!  I really can't stand that my precious baby girl is going to be 10!  CRAZY!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment